The Program assists young Aboriginal people in Years 7 to 11 who may be disengaging from schools in the Shellharbour Region. The Program uses cultural programs, specialist individual work, age specific activities and workshops to assist transition to High School or remain in school and increase educational attainment.
The Program has primary objective to support young Aboriginal year 7 students transitioning from Primary School to High School and year 8 students to stay engaged in high school education.
The Program is extended to students in years 9 to 11 with the focus to stay engaged in School and provide other educational, training and pre-employment support as required. The Program encourages participation and provides support to Young People and their families.
Cultural Programs Include:
Didge Making and Learning, Aboriginal Dance, Art and Craft and Aboriginal Language.
Other Programs and workshops include –
- Mentoring and support from Aboriginal Elders
- Living Skills - Nutrition, Safe Food Preparation, Self-care, Health and fitness
- Social Skills - Communication strategies, conflict management
- Individual Case Management and Support to families
- Access to other SYFS Services
This Service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services under the Families and Communities Program