The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) is currently a one-off payment from the Australian Government to help young people who are leaving Out of Home Care (OoHC). It provides a contribution of up to $1,500 towards the costs involved in moving to independent living.
Eligible young people can access a $1,500 allowance for a range of support services as well as training and educational materials and other items like furniture and white goods.
The $1,500 payment is available in up to six installments as agreed between the young person and their case worker, and will be paid by the Australian Government Department of Human Services (DHS).
Young people leaving formal care may be eligible to receive the $1,500 Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) to help them move to independent living. The allowance can be used for a range of support services as well as training and education materials.
To receive the allowance the young person must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent Australian resident who resides in Australia at the time of submitting the application
- Be aged 15 to 25 (inclusive) at the time of submitting the application
- Have been, or are currently in, formal care on a court order
- Either be approaching an exit from formal care (within twelve weeks of applying), experiencing an exit from formal care, or have exited from formal care
- Have left the care of the state or territory statutory department after the age of 15 years and was last in the departments care for a continuous period of at least 6 months
- Have not received the full amount of TILA assistance previously; a young person can only receive up to a total of $1,500
- Have a leaving care plan agreed with their case worker
- Have agreed with their case worker that the proposed use and timing of TILA is appropriate.
Source: Australian Government Department of Social Services (link is external)
Southern Youth and Family Services is the NSW provider of the Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA).
To View and Download the TILA Application Form (NSW ONLY) click on the link below: